Monday, July 25, 2011

Summertime

It's Summer.

In fact, it's been summer for quite awhile now. It was about two weeks ago that it really hit though, with the temps in the triple digits and humidity right behind. But today was nice. It was in the nineties I guess, but the humidity seemed better, and this evening was positively lovely. It's already down to 77 at twenty to ten.

We took advantage of the loverly weather this evening to go on a nice little three wheeler ride. The family is getting a little big to all fit, but we still manage. The fields are just beautiful right now, the sky was clear, the light was wonderful.... And I didn't take any pictures. Sorry.

When we got home we lounged around the yard for awhile, you can see pics of that here.

In other news, I guess I will have to eat crow and admit to re-joining Facebook. Go ahead, laugh, make fun, and deride me for a hypocrite. When you're done I have something to say. Ready?

I still think Facebook friends are poor substitutes for real friends. I still think that the content in general on Facebook is shallow. I still wouldn't let any child of mine join Facebook unless they were of a mature age and I could see everything that went on. I still don't like that Facebook makes messaging 'friends' at anytime as simple as typing on a keyboard (if you parents of youth age people don't see any problems with that I think you're a little naive, in the same way as I think that you're a bit naive if you allow your children to text with no restrictions or parental oversight).

I could say more, but I won't.

We're hoping that being on Facebook will help us to keep up with friends and family that we're interested in who don't live around here. Time will tell whether it will be a useful tool for that.

In other news we're looking forward to camping in Wisconsin in about three weeks! I doubt if you'll see us posting before then, but who knows?

~GB

6 comments:

Lisl said...

About the facebook thing...sounds like you all came out about where we have. It is shallow. I'm about weed out some of my "friends." But it's really nice to keep up with general news and friends and family in the states that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.
Oh, and your weather sounds like typical Thailand to me!

Unknown said...

In other news, I decided to start using a car again to get around, rather than walking everywhere. Now before you call me a hypocrite, I have something to say:

I still think road trips are poor substitutes for real on-foot odysseys. I still think that sitting in a hermetically-sealed chamber and calling it an "experience" is, in general, pretty shallow. I still wouldn't let any child of mine drive a car unless they were of a mature age and I could see everything that went on. I still don't like that cars make getting around at anytime as simple as turning a key. (if you parents of youth age people don't see any problems with that I think you're a little naive, in the same way as I think that you're a bit naive if you allow your children to be away from home at all hours of day and night without permission). Cars are still not as healthy as walking, and I have grave concerns about their impact on good, deep walking habits in future generations....

What????? You think that walking and driving both have their place??? They aren't mutually exclusive? That many adults have the common sense to keep the two in balance, and realize that walking and driving serve different, though related purposes? You liberal.

(tongue in cheek) :-)

Gabe n Jenny said...

I can't say that I think not using facebook vs using facebook is comparable to walking vs driving. I think it's more like driving your own car versus taking a fly infested, disease ridden bus! But one can always wear gloves....

amyjane30 said...

Hey just wanted to say hi to the both of you with a keyboard/pc/internet.....this is some good writings a going on here.....so long.....matt.

Rachel said...

Amen Gabriel! about fb and teenagers and language and shallowness and all that! evil is right at all our fingertips, just the click of a key.

But i do enjoy keeping up with family via pictures and posts from far away. And I even enjoy keeping up with what is happening in my community, that includes happy and sad things. thanks for the new photos.....I suppose Gwen is just as busy as ever...

Lisl said...

Hey, it's not summer time anymore. Are you going to blog?

Post a Comment