Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Work in Progress

I bet you know where this is headed.  

This morning we decided that it was time to pull that old worn out carpet out of the living room.   Well, my wife sort of decided that she'd had it up to 'here' (that's about throat level) and that now was as good a time as any for me to follow through on the promise I'd made to help her take it out this winter.    She was right, I'd been promising to do it "when work gets slow", and it looks as though right now is as slow as we'll get, even though it isn't actually that slow.
 So we moved the stuff.   All the stuff that is, except the piano, which we covered up.   We put  a sheet over the opening to stop all the dust, and got started.   I guess you can see from the pictures that it really WAS time for the carpet to go.
 Starting to pull it up.....
 We cut it down the center so it would come out in two pieces.
 Gwen was quite eager to help!
 Myles liked playing peek a boo.
 Whew!  Got the worst part done!   The carpet came out really easy, the pad underneath wasn't bad either except for all the dirt!   It was only an accumulation of  50 years or so, but it really was kind of bad.
 Time to get down on our hands and knees and put a little elbow grease into this.
 The center of the room must have had an area rug, and the outsides were finished.   That was, of course, prior to the carpet (yes, THAT carpet) being there for fifty years.   (I say fifty years, but it's probably longer, that would only go back to 1963)
 Did I mention the dirt?   We dumped out five or six buckets like that.  
This is what it looks like where the unfinished and the finished meet up.  

So I'm sure you're wondering..  Now what?   So are we.   We're going to either paint it, re-carpet it, or possibly (but quite unlikely) just get an area rug of the same size as they used fifty or more years ago and let that old wood as it is.  

I guess whatever we decide will likely be the subject of the next blog!   Any great ideas are welcome in the comments section!

8 comments:

amyjane30 said...

This is GREAT!!!! We're coming over to tell you what to do in a bit! :) ~amy

Unknown said...

I like the leave it like it was with the rug in the center idea!!! that wood is beautiful!!! from what I can see!!!

Judy said...

love the wood floor,and your trim and doors.

Arla said...

what fun.

Lisl said...

Sand and refinish it? I didn't see that option listed.

Gabe n Jenny said...

Sand and refinish are probably more in depth than we are wiling to go. We are leaning towards painting the center area. More on that if/when it happens.

Francis Cross said...

Area rug or paint... I soooo would not put carpet back over it! It's beautiful!

On the Hill said...

Oh, no don't paint...finish it with a clear coat to match the outside...either that or carpet. I actually like the 'feel' or carpet much better than a 'wood' floor, but a wood floor finished is rather beautiful!!

Post a Comment