Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Camera In My Pocket

To those of you who know me, the idea of me fitting my camera in my pocket is ludicrous. That's because my camera is a bulky digital SLR (single lens reflex for the uninitiated), with a lens that outweighs your average digital wonder several times. And so you'd think I'm definitely not the person to defend using anything with less than professional quality. But what about when I don't have that bulky piece of equipment with me? Well, I settle for the next best thing because to quote Ken Rockwell, the best camera is the one that's with you.

I mentioned in a previous post that the photo above was taken with my cell phone. That's because it was the most convenient camera at the time. Now I don't pretend that my cell phone can take pictures with anywhere near the quality of my 'real' camera. Nor is it anywhere as easy to use. The controls are difficult or impossible to adjust (if they need adjusting) and my little finger gets in front of the lens. It takes time to get the camera up on the phone, and it doesn't work well for moving subjects. So it's a pain. But on the other hand, when there's a picture to take I often don't have my 'real' camera in my hand. But my phone is always in my pocket. So I have the choice of not taking a picture, or taking one of slightly lower quality than I prefer. My choice? I generally take the picture.

I didn't feel like dragging my DSLR out tonight to get this picture of the house in the snow, and frankly if I didn't tell you, you'd probably never know the difference! As far as quality, I downsize my DSLR pictures so much to post them that they're smaller files than the ones coming directly from my phone! I even downsize the phone pictures most of the time, since they're bigger than necessary for posting on the web. Megapixels are just a sales gimmick, but if it really matters to you, the phone has a 3 megapixel camera. That's good for a phone, but no camera salesman would ever admit that you can take a picture like the ones above or below with a measly 3 megapixels. I'm not pretending these shots are worth framing on the wall, but if I wanted to make a 4X6 or 5X7 to scrapbook or put in an album, you'd never know they came from such an "inferior" source. As far as editing, I try to edit pictures as little as possible. I prefer to take them the way I want them, rather than try to make them what they weren't. These shots are unedited except that a few are slightly cropped.

Why bother bringing a camera worth several hundreds out in the snow to take a picture of an old junky wheel barrow load of wood? It's not a great picture, but it struck my fancy so I took it. But it wouldn't be worth the bother to go get my 'real' camera.

How about my cheap insulation? It's not exactly the most orthodox way to go perhaps, but I've had trouble with my kitchen pipes freezing when we get these cold north winds. So I'm hoping that a little snow heaped against the side of the house under the kitchen window (where the problem is the worst) will keep things warm enough so they don't freeze. I know it warmed me up! Okay, who thinks I took this one with my phone? Sure did, why risk getting my good camera full of moisture on such an unfriendly night?

I don't mean to give anyone the impression that I'm going to just quit using the DSLR in favor of a camera phone. When I go out with the intention of taking pictures, in great light with beautiful scenery, I'm not going to favor a dinky camera phone over my Nikon. That's just not happening. Most of the reason for this post is that I'm trying to make a point. The point is something that I also mentioned in my previous post. Cameras don't take pictures, people do. The following anecdote makes that point far more clearly than my pontificating, so perhaps I'll just add it in and bring this rant to an end.

There was once a photographer who was invited to a friends house. After supper, he showed his friends some slides he had taken, and the lady of the house said, "Wow, those are really good! You must have a very nice camera!" To which he quipped, "And that was a really good supper we had, you must have a very nice oven!"

~GB

4 comments:

Clark said...

Ah......... That tone is so familiar. It seems like I have heard stuff like this before. BTW I don't think you even need a 3 megapixel camera to make a 4x6. Great Piece!!

Clark

David said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Hope you and your pipes stay warm. I remember those days.
Mom B.

Arla said...

I like the wheel barrel picture. I'm glad you are having the "worst" best winter in 25 years. Is that what the news is saying? What do they know?!

Abbey said...

Hey Gabe, I've been thinking about your ideas on cameras and the pictures they are capable of taking, and your 'story' and this is what I have to say. It is much easier to make a good supper if you have a nice oven. I'd rather take my picture when I want it and not have to finagle around trying to get the right focus while the picture changes.

Post a Comment