Saturday, December 3, 2011

December


It is snowing! The first time this year, and I don't have much faith that it will amount to anything. I have mixed feelings about the snow, because Gabe is working for Matt this year with snow removal, so he is committed to that.
Last night, we went Christmas caroling. In my opinion, we were a little out of season and early for such things, but it was realistically cold, so that helped. We had fun. We took the babies all bundled up in their warm coats and hats. I found a coat for Gwen at my favorite store yesterday... it was an answer to prayer.
Then we all met at the gym and had sugary snacks and hot drinks and fellowship. To be quite honest, this was one of the first times I felt this warm feeling of "belonging". This is something I have cried and prayed about for a long time now. I am learning that if I am willing to get out of my comfort zone, that there are all kinds of friends to be had. In other words, if I want to have friends, I must show myself friendly. The other thing that helps is to get rid of my expectations, and meet people on the level that they feel comfortable.
I suppose that this sounds like Greek to some of you... but this is what I have been pondering somewhat lately.
This last week, I was without my computer and internet for about three days, and I was most embarrassed at how much I missed their company. I got more done than usual. I washed my living room walls and cleaned corners and cobwebs and dust and dirt and washed curtains and found a fine, black film on everything. This is because we have a wood stove. I would say that the wood heat is worth the dirt it creates, wouldn't you?
I am attempting to get my Christmas decor up. I need some beautiful, lush greenery to put up, but now it is wet outside, so I don't know if that will happen today. I considered buying the fake stuff, but then my thriftiness kicked in and I rejected that idea. It is so much cleaner and tidier though.
Sometime I would like to take a picture of the bed that Gabe made for Myles and write about it here, but that will have to wait. Does anybody care about seeing it anyway?
Now I would post this, but I would like Gabe to read it first, so you all shall have to wait a bit.
Lisl, are you not proud of my for taking the hint and expounding upon my life?
Love,
Jenny

6 comments:

Arla said...

Very nice, Jenny and Gabe. And guess what Jenny, I am very proud of you for figuring all that out about belonging and friendships. Smart gal. Keep it up. Any new community has a lot to offer anyone who has what Grandma Ruth calls stick-to-it-iveness. I'm rooting for you on this.

Charlotte said...

Nice family picture. Someday we will figure out how to get nice ones of us. And yeah post about Myles' bed. Can Gabe make me one sometime?

Unknown said...

Very proud of you for getting the hint, Jenny. I totally get what you mean by the friendships stuff--working on over culture lines makes it even more interesting. One thing I've learned is that the Thai people are more at ease when I am. Like on Thanksgiving I kinda got the giggles...they loved it. -Lisl

Geneva's Creations said...

Nice hearing about your life! it was very interesting....and i too can say agreed w/ the friendly stuff...

amyjane30 said...

yes about the expectations.....sometimes that is HARD. But then again...my expectations for other people is just as hard on them! Some days I have light bulb moments and remember to shut up and love! :) And everyone definitely should see that co sleeper. Most definitely....I want one for all the past babies I've had. Your family picture is very nice. I want a real one sometime. Thanks. ~Amy

Amber said...

I'm glad you are making more friends. And yes I would like to see Myles' bed please

Post a Comment