Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I think I'll stick with something substantive

As you all know, it simply doesn't do to not have the best in social networking. So being interested in having the best in social networking I thought that I should check it out. After all, the best in social networking is not anything at which to sneer. Nor should one who wishes to appear up on technology ignore the best in social networking. So after the bandwagon had traversed most of the streets in town and was receding off into the sunset, I hurriedly crawled over the tail gate to explore the glories of the best in social networking.

E'er I go further, may I make something clear? I don't really care if any of you enjoy Facebook. I'm even happy if you find something worthwhile in it. And if you do, please don't take offense at my lack of rapport in its networking capabilities. I don't mean to offend those who use Facebook, if they happen to read my blog, and I hope that they will allow me the courtesy of expressing and holding my own opinions.

Frankly, the best in social networking (if I may jestingly use that description) left me with much to be desired. First, on a technical level I thought the site was poorly designed and it had an annoying habit of telling me that "they're sorry, but what I'm trying to do right now just doesn't work right now, and it probably will later." So I admit to prejudice against it purely on that level. After all, in my opinion the best in social networking should be capable of handling simple web queries.

On a deeper level however, (or perhaps a more shallow one) I wasn't impressed with the content. It seems to work fine for the casual back and forth banter of general friendship, but one always must remember that everything posted will be up for anyone to see.... I don't see the wisdom in that. In contrast, I can carefully monitor who reads my blog if I choose. I can also totally control the content of anyone who posts anything on it. Not so with Facebook.

I guess the chat feature would be something usable, but I just don't need it, having another advanced system by which I chat with my friends. Nor did I need the little message center (which usually wouldn't load correctly), when I have e-mail which handles things much better. So frankly, I couldn't, and can't see the reasons for using the best in social networking. And I came to realize after a short time that the best in social networking, may not actually live up to that name. In fact, if this were an allegory it would receive a much different name from me. Perhaps you Facebook junkies will be tempted to think that I only created an account so that I would have a legitimate excuse for ripping it on my blog. You'd be wrong on that. I actually thought it might be something interesting and/or useful. It didn't work for me on either level.

My status with it right now? I tried to deactivate the account but so far have had a noticeable lack of success. Mainly due to the fact that the site isn't loading correctly.... Hmmm, it's about par for the course. (blame my computer if you like, but it works fine on every other site I visit...)

Well, that's my Facebook experience! I'm sure a good share of you differ with me, but we can disagree and be friends, right?
~GB

13 comments:

Charlotte said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with Facebook. I've been contemplating getting an account simply because no one updates their Xanga, it's all on Facebook. And so I find a Xanga of someone I knew years ago, but the last update is like March 2008, and I'm like, so what are you doing now?! (end of rant) Of course, that's not saying that what you said totally convinces me....

Gabe n Jenny said...

By all means try it for yourself. But don't expect it to be a blog... It's more along the lines of "I'm cleaning my toenails now...." "just had an awesome game of v-ball" etc.....

Arla said...

At the risk of sounding self-righteous which I don't mean to do; my first experience with FaceBook was also my last by my choice. I don't want to know the contents of people's frig, or whether or not they are taking a nap. When I have the time to communicate with friends or family I want to use that precious opportunity for worthwhile stuff.
I'm sure there's a better way to say all that so that you FB folks don't get your dander up. so please don't. Go ahead and pity me in my ignorance. :) Thanks Gabe, for saying what I suspected was true all along.

Danae said...

I post with fear and trepidation, as I do dare to differ. :) I do understand some of what your saying...and no, facebook is not the social network best fitted for *deep* conversations, since it is public. However, after keeping up with the statuses of a friend for a week or two, you do get some idea of the general things going on in their lives...as well as pics etc. Not so deep, but many people do not take the time or put in the effort to send me long, deep, newsy emails anyway...and if all of my FB friends DID, I would be overwhelmed with keeping up with it all. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I like being able to keep up with lots of people on a casual basis and then also in a deeper way with chat and email with those who I am closer to. And Mom says that facebook makes it possible for her to get in touch with people in her past that she would not hear from otherwise, and know where they are at, find out about their health, marriage, etc.
Anyway, I don't expect to change your mind, I just wanted to put in my two cents worth anyway. :)

Abbey said...

I agree with every thing that you say, and have thought of quitting my account. But for better or for worse I've decided that (some)of the things I do on there are very worthwhile so I've kept it. But I don't feel put out by anything that you'll have said :).

amyjane30 said...

Bravo for Danae! :) I see both points ...Gabes and Danae's....
One more thing about fb. You're not even ALLOWED to blog on it. If you get past so many characters it says you said too much! And everyone knows that doesn't work for me! :)
But saying all that...I've also been able to chat w/ old aquaintances about things that matter...it does allow you chat for as long as you wish...and you can't keep chat history! So it can be chatted over and forgotten! And Matt has had some good chats too w/ old friends. So that's a good feature.
I wonder if the problem isn't fb so much as we are turning into a bunch of shallow networking people and fb fits the bill for us. After all virtual frendships are nicer than the ones right here w/ skin on...virtual friendships can't get eye contact and facial expressions and so therefore we feel comfortable that what's being/been said is all good. In real friendship we have the REAL give and take and honesty....I try to keep that reality.

Noah Lattin said...

i would pretty much agree w/ everything danae said, being quite a ways amay from my church family as well as friends in that area i have found fb very useful for keeping in touch. another thing is getting to know people in the greater beaver bay area, i have been aquainted w/ several people in this area who are not quite "neo anabaptists", even though i disagree w/ them on several levels it has been good, i think, to get more aquainted w/ them.

on the other side i also agree w/ gabe to some degree. fb has a lot of problems. most can be fixed or avoided, you can limit your "puplic" readers to to your friends, if you have friends on your list whom you don't want reading your posts, remove them. other probs. have fixes, you just have to learn them.

i plan to be keeping my fb page, i am very careful what i do and i believe it is profitable.

so we can still be friends and disagree on this (:

Noah

Arla said...

I'm coming back in here just to say Gabe, that I am glad your little essay has solicited some profitable exchange. I have been wanting to hear SOMETHING pro that is profitable and have been hard pressed to do so. I still will not be using FB for now, but not because I am looking down my nose so much as that I can't possibly keep up that many acquaintances either old or new without neglecting the things for which I am currently responsible.

Lance said...

FB is scary it gives me a whole list a people from I dont know where that I actualy know and then tells me to be friends with them.... and then when I am friends with them it tells me way more about them then I should ever know. Lance

Gabe n Jenny said...

Another problem I had with it that I didn't touch on was the fact that as soon as you get on you get this rush of "facebook friends" giving you requests for friendship. Now I don't mind being friends with my friends, but facebook friends are definitely not to be confused with real friends.

You can use it to keep up with people you used to know, or don't ever see, but when does it change from "keeping up" to snooping and gossip? I don't know for sure, I just don't know if it is actually all that profitable for me, although I agree it's interesting.
~GB

amyjane30 said...

face book blog spot gmail juno mail email cell phones texting.....i like what arla said...talking does not get the work done ...but we all enjoy trying. mb

Susan said...

Thanks, Gabe, for finally opening this up to discussion. I would be in agreement with you, but then, I'm an old-folk, without the aptitude for high-tech stuff, and NO patience with computer things that don't work. I also am not the social butterfly I once was. If I look at it from the point of my children, it does make sense. I simply wish someone would come out with a version of FB without the undesirable elements...the ads, the groups, the offers of this and that, and so on. Fun maybe, but aren't there more important things to be doing? Like the real relationships in our lives, instead of virtual farms and such...
The banter concerns me...so easy to say things without having to be accountable in some ways, as it doesn't seem so real. So easy to type something and then regret it later. So much for my two cents...maybe you'll regret ever posting on this :)

On the Hill said...

Can I add my 2 cents!! I understand where Gabe is comin' from...I was a bit disappointed at first too, that you couldn't have larger inputs. But with Danae, I after living way down here in the boondocks of SC...its kinda nice to catch up with friends and relatives more than just at Christmas time. And with Susan, I wish someone would come up with a facebook without all the extra stuff.... ads, groups, offers, farm games, blitzs, etc! But also like Susan, I don't have the aptitude for the high-tech stuff, so maybe that would be something for you computer techies to come up with!! :) ~Dena

Post a Comment