Saturday, April 3, 2010

Babies Don't Keep

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,

empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

hang out the washing and butter the bread,

sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due (pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue? (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for Children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep......

~Author Unknown ~


Perhaps, the mother in this house will have time to post something sometime, but as the poem says.....


Today I mowed lawn for the first time this year, and over the last week or so we have planted nearly half the garden. So it's beginning to feel like Spring is really here, and we're awfully glad after this winter that we've had.


Gwendolyn Marie has been doing really well (although her mother might have more and better details than I). She was to the doctor at about ten days and has regained her birth weight plus two ounces. (She's now 7lb 2oz.) She likes to look around at things when she's awake, and has been doing better at sleeping at night. Last night she went five hours between feedings, which was a record, I believe. Well, I must be going, at least you got a little update! Be sure to check out picasa for the latest in pictures.


~GB

1 comment:

Arla said...

Thanks Gabe,
Very much enjoyed that poem. Jenny is doing a good job I noticed at keeping up and getting out with you already. BTW, that's a very nice baby. I'm impressed.

Post a Comment