Saturday, April 24, 2010

A productive day

What do you consider a productive day? Jenny and I just had one, and I'll outline it so you can know what we consider a good day.

Got up (that's always the best way to start).

We went to some garage sales in Seward this morning and found a few misc. items, but not too much of note. I did get a hand coffee grinder, which I thought was neat.

When we got home, I mowed the lawn while Jenny took care of the hungry baby. David was here working on a computer and had Rebecca with him, so she rode with me for awhile.

Following that I cut some peppermint tea, and we dug some perennials and took them over to Beth, and got a few plants from her in return.

When we got home, Jenny planted flowers and weeded flower beds while I worked at re-doing my grapevine strategy. I now have a better system on which to grow my grapes (which are coming out of dormancy nicely). I've changed my method to a cattle panel, as opposed to stringing wire which stretches way too easily.

I replaced the dirt in a few little flowerbeds for Jenny, adding some horse fertilizer (pretty rich stuff, you can overdo it with that stuff), and added some of the same around the drip line of my apple tree to encourage root growth outward. I hope that was a good idea. I used it very discreetly as I have no wish to burn my tree.

Then I hoed my peas, radishes, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, and onions. After which I planted more onions (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment).

Meanwhile Jenny took a nap and then finished planting her flowers.

About then it got windy and looked a little stormy, so we went in (it was six o'clock by then).

After supper, I ran over to a friends house and got some cuttings from his grapevines. Came back home and planted them, I do hope they will root as well as all the websites claim they will.

Now I'm ready to get to bed, and so is the rest of my family.

Well, there's a very abbreviated window into a Saturday at my house!

~GB

7 comments:

David said...

Sounds like you had a good day. My garden was too wet to hoe, my potatoes need it badly but I was waiting till they peek through.

Gabe n Jenny said...

Mine were barely showing through, and some of them weren't yet, I just did the ones I could.

Sharon Skrivseth said...

I am jealous.. you are gardening already!
I didn't know you could root grapevines that way! thats something i'd like to experiment with...any tips on where to plant and what kind?

Gabe n Jenny said...

I don't know a lot about grapes, but I'm trying to learn. I definitely don't know enough to recommend a variety for you, although I would guess the popular Concord would be hardy enough for your area. Plant in full sun if possible (at least six hours daily), in well drained soil. That's as much as I know for sure....

Arla said...

What a good Saturday. Elv bought a tiller so I have picked this week as a good time to plant potatoes.

Gabe n Jenny said...

I forgot to mention that we discovered our raspberry plants growing and weeded them too....
~GB

Clark said...

Oh, that makes me itch to get into my garden. I'm not sure if I can fit it in with my week yet, but next week for sure will be garden week. :) Can't wait.

Post a Comment