Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pulling up Carpets and Painting














Hi, my name is Jenny and this is what I do for fun! I rip out carpets and paint walls!*
Here are before and after pictures... the before picture is from soon after we were married, and this room was my "store room". I'm sorry the after picture is so dark, I don't know how to adjust the intricate settings on Gabe's beloved camera.
Last Saturday, I was suddenly struck with a great urge to start painting.I convinced Gabe that it was a good idea and got him to go down the basement with me to see what there happened to be down there for paint. After some mixing of paint, I came up with a light tan color and began to paint. Oh yes, we had to take the wallpaper border down first, but that wasn't too hard really. This room is quite small... 11 1/2 ft by 6 1/2 approximately, with one door and one window to work around. So in a couple hours I had the first coat on. It looked great! On Monday, Amy came over and helped me finish up... I did some sponge painting with a lighter shade too... I'm not sure if you can see that on the picture.


After we were done painting, it looked so good in there that Amy and I had the brainy idea to just go ahead and pull the carpet out while we were at it. We began to claw around at the edges of the carpet, got a good grab, and pulled. We discover that there was another piece of carpeting under that one, that was really a lot prettier than the top layer :) We pulled that out too. As were doing this, we made a lovely discovery. Underneath all the lovely carpet, is a beautiful, oak floor! So Gabe and I don't think we'll be getting a new piece of carpet after all.
I think the "North Bedroom" is my favorite room in the house right now :).... Now.... I wonder what is under the other carpets in my house??

On a side note, fall in Nebraska actually does make at least some nice leaves, and here is one I found on my window!* He just peeked in to say hi to me I guess, so I took his picture.

Until Later....
Jenny Marie Burkey

* PS Gabe gets the credit for a couple of the sentences in this post, since he started it for me. I think that is his way of getting me to post something sometimes :)

6 comments:

Arla said...

Amazing! I really thing you should have put a before picture on as well.

Gabe n Jenny said...

Is that better?

amyjane30 said...

I know what you guys do on Wednesday evenings while everyone else is at prayer meetings! You update your blog! :) I do likey....

Charlotte said...

I envy you that oak floor!

Roni Sue said...

Wow, I am doubly impressed with your little guestroom now that I've seen a before picture. That room is very pretty now.

Melinda said...

ok now that I see the before picture -I'm impressed!!! :-)

Post a Comment